History of St Laurence and St Agnes

History of St Laurence, Petersfield

The church is a striking red brick building in an Italianate style. The architect, John Kelly, designed a number of Catholic churches around the end of the nineteenth century, including the Grade II* St Patrick, Soho Square, London.

St Laurence from Station Road

St Laurence from Station Road

The church and presbytery were commissioned in 1890-91 by Laurence Trent Cave of Ditcham Park, a prominent local Catholic landowner. A few years after it opened, the apse and transepts were added in order to accommodate the tomb of the founder, who died in 1903.

The church is a cruciform design in an Italian style with a nave, transepts, chancel and two side chapels. It has a prominent octagonal copper dome surmounted by a lantern. The exterior is red brick with stone dressings. The interior is well lit from clear upper storey windows. The sanctuary is entered through ornamental gates set in a marble balustrade, and the altar is marble The newly refurbished domefaced. The marble font stands in the chapel to the left of the main altar. The pulpit and confessional were made by Edward Carter Knight in 1902 and were the gift of Mrs Cave.